Wednesday 5 September 2007

new obsessions, new challenges



So here we are in Autumn, a time for new beginnings and I have a new addiction... to beads. For a long time I have wanted to have a go at making a few pieces for myself and I'm so pleased with my first attempt. It's so much fun and sooo relaxing, plus you can do it while you're watching the tv. So now I've ordered some more things because I have some gorgeous crystals that deserve some silver findings.

I think it's all subconsciously to reward myself for something that has happened. Something that I have found incredibly tough to start with but thanks to my sister who took me in hand and showed me the way despite having no experience with it herself, is now starting to get easier. It's the biggest challenge I have faced in a long while. I have been put on a gluten and lactose free diet. That means anything with wheat or similar in such as pasta, bread, cakes, biscuits, anything with a small amount of wheat flour such as spicy coatings, breadcrumbs, soy sauce(!), even sausages are off limits unless they're specially made. Then there's the lactose, or anything dairy, that has had to be replaced with soya milk or rice milk products. This is the toughest thing because I miss cheese SO MUCH people! The vegan cheese that is made from tofu is just no compensation. I also miss proper creamy sauces, butter and ice cream. Bad times.

Actually, the worst thing about it right now is going out to eat or being in a social situation where there's food because I feel like a freak and so awkward that people have to cater specially for me. I've never liked being centre of attention. There has been one occasion at a family party where I've just burst into tears because of the massive spread of food that I couldn't touch. I know that sounds ridiculous but it's a weird, lonely feeling of being different to everyone else. People are being so nice though and really going out of their way to help me but I feel so awful that I'm making extra work for people. It's hard to pick up food to eat when you're out and about, shopping or something. It takes some planning ahead. I've yet to go into a restaurant and ask if they can cater for me. That makes me want the floor to open up and swallow me.

I'm sorry for moaning on and feeling sorry for myself because the truth is that it is starting to get easier, at home anyway. I'm not starving like some people in this world. I can still eat fruit, veg, meat, fish, corn, rice and potatoes. Most of the supermarkets sell 'free from' ranges which include things like pasta made from rice and even naan bread which is lovely. I have found some gluten and dairy free jaffa cakes so it's not all bad. The plus side of all this is that I'm feeling a lot better because of the change in diet. I don't want to go into too many details but let's just say the horrendous pain every month is gone and I would have done anything for that so this is a small price to pay. Plus my skin is clearer, I'm not bloated anymore and I think I might have lost a bit of weight. Good times! If you're still reading and stuck with me through this post then thanks. I try to stay away from writing posts like this but this has been so life changing for me. If there's anyone out there who has a similar diet I would LOVE to hear from you.

Now to end on a lighter note I made some Jedi costumes recently for a Star Wars party we were invited to. They took me ages and I thought I was never going to finish them but luckily half an hour before the party I finally switched the sewing machine off! It wasn't long before P was having to feel the force when he was confronted by a mini Darth Vader who was blimmin' scary. Those light sabres are fun though. They make a noise when you hit something.

Right, I'm off to play with some beads! Have a good week and thanks for reading.

**Edit** Remember those tomato plants I grew... those are some of the results on my plate! They are called Sungold and are lovely and sweet. I heartily recommend them!

**Edit again!** I've turned the comment validation off so anybody can leave their thoughts on this post. Thanks.

No comments: