Thursday 4 October 2007

Gluten-free and lactose free baking mission



I was so excited when I opened the door of the oven after 20 minutes to see that my gluten-free banana muffins had risen that I actually said out loud to myself, 'Oh my god!! They've risen!!' Not only that but they don't taste any different to the ones I made a few months back with the wheat based flour. I was so pleased that I immediately took loads of photos. Well, after eating one that is.

So, it is my pleasure to give any other poor afflicted souls the recipe:

GLUTEN & LACTOSE FREE BANANA MUFFINS

Makes 10
9 oz (250g) gluten free flour (I used Doves Farm)
1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp zanthan gum (this replaces the gluten)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 ripe bananas
1 egg
2&1/2 oz (70g) soft brown sugar
2 fl oz (50ml) vegetable oil
1 oz (30g) raisins

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degree C / Gas 5. Line 10 deep muffin tins with paper cases.

2. Mash the bananas with a fork.

3. Beat in the eggs, sugar and oil.

4. Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, zanthan gum, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until blended then stir in the raisins.


5. Fill the cases about 3/4 full.

6. Bake until risen(!) and golden. 20 - 25 minutes should do it. Transfer to a rack to cool if you can bear not to try one first!



I'm finding the challenge to be fun now and the dread of asking about gluten and lactose free food in restaurants was completely unfounded. The couple of times we've eaten out I've been treated like a VIP.

At Couch's Restaurant in Polperro (yep, we've been to Cornwall again) Richard the chef made me something completely different that wasn't on the menu. He'd got some monkfish in and he made a lovely herby sauce to go with it especially for me! P was very jealous!!

No comments: