Friday 24 August 2012

cream or jam first?

cream tea

I had a cream tea yesterday in Chagford to celebrate one of my patterns being featured in the new MOYO, a magazine about surface pattern design. We had our usual discussion about whether the cream or jam should go on first. Whichever it tastes just as good!

Lesley_Todd_2

Sprigmug  © Lesley Todd 2012

Lots of fab work from my fellow students is also on show in the magazine so if you’re interested in joining the new round of the Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design (ABSPD) courses that are about to begin why not take a look… Congrats to everyone who got featured!

moyo magazine

A screenshot of the magazine… my pattern is 2nd row, 2nd down.

“MOYO, the world’s first online magazine dedicated to surface pattern design! Packed with interviews, design briefs, colour challenges, art reviews, student showcases, design tips, inspiration, trends and more.”

I had a lovely few hours exploring Chagford which is on the edge of Dartmoor in Devon. It’s a fabulous place, full of quirky shops, galleries, teashops and pubs. People are very friendly here and there is a great arty vibe. It is unusual for a small place to have so many independently owned shops selling everything you could think of or need. It would be an amazing place to live surrounded by lush countryside, maybe one day…

chagford

We found this Swedish mid century tray by Konga Princesse in one of the shops and decided to take it home.

konga-princesse-tray-sweden-2

We also visited Stone Lane Gardens where there are sculptures to be found hiding in the trees. I fell in love with the work of Tati Dennehy, nature had added it’s own flourish to her work and it couldn’t be more perfect in this woodland garden.

tati-dennehy-4

tati dennehy 2

Sculpture by Tati Dennehy

owl-sculpture

I also fell for this beautiful owl sculpture, I’m afraid I don’t know the artist’s name. Please leave a comment if you know.

birch

Gorgeous patterns to be found in nature… will definitely be using this as inspiration!

Bye for now and if you’re in the UK have a wonderful bank holiday weekend!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Congratulations on your design!

I unfortunately didn't manage to get to the Stone Lane Gardens when I was in Chagford - one of the most enchanting villages I've seen. I did come home with lovely items from four of the local artists/crafts people. Amazing how many talented artists there are there!

And - perhaps it's because I'm Canadian - but I always do cream first...

Magic Bean said...

We used to go to Devon a lot when we were kids. Long to go back and rediscover places like Chagford.
Love your sprigmug, Ax

Magic Bean said...

Meant to ask... how did you get on with the scarf competition? x