Wednesday 10 October 2007

feeling autumnal


I just want to start by saying thanks to everyone for leaving supportive comments and emails after my last two posts. It helped me greatly and meant a lot so thank you!

Autumn is in full swing here now. NĂ  wrote a fantastic list a while ago and it was so inspiring I've been thinking about my own. Apologies if I repeat any (I'm purposefully not looking at it!)

Things I love about Autumn and why it's my second favourite season (after Spring):
  • leaves changing to beautiful shades of colours
  • warm, low sunlight casting long shadows
  • glowing reds, oranges, browns, golds, yellows and pinks
  • seeing our resident squirrel gracefully leap around, burying conkers in the garden, patting the grass and leaves down with it's tiny paws
  • wearing a jacket again
  • woodsmoke
  • comfort food
  • scarves
  • halloween
  • seeing birds back on the feeders and hearing them chattering away to each other (goldfinches, nuthatches, blackbirds, sparrows, robin, chaffinches, dunnocks, collared doves, blue tits, great tits, wrens and a woodpecker so far)
  • the feeling of wanting to buy new pens, pencils, notepads
  • bramley apples from my mum & dad's garden and the apple pie that will be made
  • latest series of 24 out on dvd (been glued to this for the last week!)
  • snuggling up on the sofa
  • trying to catch leaves as they flutter down to the ground (it's supposed to be good luck!)
  • misty mornings and seeing things in a whole new perspective
  • bonfires and fireworks on November 5th
  • butternut squash soup
  • the earthy woodland smell of leaves decaying
  • mushroom hunting
  • carving pumpkins
  • watching P run down the garden with a water sprayer after the squirrel when it tries to steal the bird food
  • the anticipation of the siskins arriving (I know, I'm a bird nerd!)
  • crisp mornings and warm afternoons
  • seeing your breath in the cool air
  • berries in the hedgerows
  • the feeling of change

No comments: